Medicare stipulates that a patient must have a prognosis of 6 months or less to live if their life limiting illness runs its course. If a patient goes beyond the 6 month time frame, we can re-certify the patient for a longer period of time if appropriate.
Things to consider when referring for Hospice:
- Can you foresee the patient's life extending beyond a year?
- Has the patient made multiple trips to the ICU or ER recently?
- Are the caregivers contacting you more frequently about this patient?
- Is the patient declining or are you seeing a rapid change in condition?
- Are curative treatments no longer working or making symptoms worse?
Things to consider when referring to a Hospice company:
- How long have they been providing Hospice services?
- Do they provide services where your patient will reside?
- How soon are they able to see the patient when needed?
- Do they provide services for the patient, family and/or caregivers?
- Are they in network with your patient's insurance provider or Medicare?
Call us toll free at 1-866-478-7898 to learn more about Three Rivers Hospice. Our offices are open 24x7 and our Nurses will be available to speak with you regarding any questions that you might have.